prawn fry recipe – a quick prawn stir fry made with simple and easily available ingredients. To make any seafood, we use very few spices or garam masala to retain the original flavor otherwise it gets dominated by masala. This quick stir fry can be made under 15 minutes excluding marination time. It goes good with plain rice or any flavored rice. With the addition of cooked rice and ghee to the stir fry, you can even make a prawn ghee rice. I have used fresh black tiger prawns to make this stir fry, any variety of prawns or shrimp can be used.
how to make prawn fry or royyala vepudu
1. Devein and clean prawns. Rinse them thoroughly. To remove fishy smell, they can be rinsed in little vinegar or lemon juice and salt. If using frozen prawns, you will need to soak in hot water for a while to soften them. Drain off water completely. Add 1.5 tsps lemon juice and 1 tsp oil. Mix.
2. Add ginger garlic paste,red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and coriander powder. Mix and set aside for at least 30 minutes. You can refrigerate for over night in the fridge.
3. Add oil or ghee to a hot pan. When it turns hot, saute cumin and cardamom until they begin to sizzle.
4. Add sliced or chopped onions and slit chilies, Sprinkle salt.
5. When the onions turn pink, add marinated prawns and fry.
6. When they begin to swirl up, add curry leaves. Continue to fry.
7. When the prawns swirl up completely, it means they are cooked thoroughly. Add red chili powder and stir for just a minute. 1 tbsp. fresh grated coconut can also be added at this stage, stir fry until the coconut begin to smell good.
Serve with rice or add some cooked basmathi rice, little more ghee, salt to the pan. Mix and stir to make prawn ghee rice.