fish fry makes a great appetizer or a side to a meal. A simple vegetable salad or onion wedges compliment the fish fry. It can be served as a side with any variety rice or with rice and rasam. This recipe is very easy to follow, a bachelor’s recipe and yields a tasty crispy fish.
To make this easy fish fry, fish needs double marination. First marination for the fish to absorb all the flavors and spice. Second marination to give a crust to the fish.
This simple fish fry recipe can be used to grill or shallow fry or tawa fry the fish. All methods yield crusty fish and is best served immediately. Besan, ajwain and saunf bring in a great aroma to the fish. If you do not have these, you can substitute with rice flour and a mild garam masala. But using besan and ajwain gives the flavor of a pakora.
step by step photos on easy fish fry recipe
1. Mix all the ingredients under first marination i.e ginger garlic paste, lemon juice, salt,garam masala, turmeric and chilli powder. Taste the marinade and adjust salt if needed.
2. Powder saunf and ajwain . If you cannot powder, at least a coarsely crushed powder would be OK. Add it to the second marination ingredients. Mix well and taste it. Adjust salt if needed.
3. Marinate the fish with wet marinade from step one and set aside for 15 minutes. Coat the fish in the dry flour mix on both the sides. Set aside in a plate. Leave it for about 15 minutes for the dry flour to become moist and cling well to the fish.
4. It can be tawa fried till crusty. For tawa fry add 3/4 tbsp oil to a hot pan and spread it well. Fry on both the sides, take care while you flip the fillet otherwise it may break. Fry few curry leaves along with the fish to garnish.
5. For shallow fry, use oil as needed. I suggest using a small pan if shallow frying, the amount of oil needed will be less.
6. Fry till golden. Flip carefully otherwise the crust will come out.
Garnish and serve fish fry.